Parking and disabilities 

What is a Mobility Parking Permit?

If you have a disability which makes it difficult to get around, you might benefit from having a Mobility Parking Permit. This is a concession parking scheme owned and run by CCS Disability Action.

Being a holder of a Mobility Parking Permit means you can enjoy parking concessions, whether you are the driver or a passenger. These can vary depending on the local council but in general they include the use of:

  • mobility parking spaces (outlined in yellow and displaying the wheelchair symbol) which are wider than normal and close to the venue (these are not available to drivers without a Mobility Parking Permit)
  • standard car parks and metered spaces for longer than stated times (for example you might pay for one hour but be allowed to park for two.
  • time-restricted zones, for example in a P30 zone other drivers can park for free for 30 minutes – but a Mobility Parking Permit  holder can park there for longer.

These concessions acknowledge that if you have mobility issues you would take longer to get back to your car.

A full list of the benefits of the Mobility Parking Permit is available at the CCS Disability Action's Mobility Parking website.

Back to top

Who can apply for a Mobility Parking Permit?

To qualify for a Mobility Parking Permit, you must: 

  • be unable to walk and reliant on a wheelchair or 
  • be restricted in your ability to walk distances without assistance because of the nature/severity of your medical condition or disability
  • have a medical condition which requires you to have someone look after you (e.g. you get disoriented or confused easily)

If you have a temporary disability such as a broken leg you can apply for a short term mobility permit for 3 to 12 months. A short term permit costs around $35.

If you have a permanent medical condition or disability which affects your mobility, you can apply for a long-term permit which is valid for five years. A long-term permit costs around $50

You don’t have to be a New Zealand resident to be eligible for a Permit; visitors with mobility issues can apply for a permit which is valid for 3 to 12 months. An overseas visitor’s permit costs around $35.

Back to top 

How do I get a Mobility Parking Permit?

To apply for a permit, you must complete a Mobility Parking Permit application form and ask your GP to complete the medical section. Your completed form should be submitted to your local CCS Disability Action office

You can apply online, download a copy or ask for a printed form at your nearest CCS Disability Action office.

Back to top

How do I use my Mobility Parking Permit?

The permit is issued to a person rather than to a vehicle. This means that you can use it for any vehicle which you are travelling in (whether as driver or passenger) – as long as you will be getting in and out of the vehicle (if you are staying in the car, then the car must be parked in a standard parking space).

When you park your car you must display the permit on your windscreen or dashboard so that it is clearly visible from outside the car. If you accidentally leave it at home or don’t display it when you park, you won’t be allowed to park in a mobility parking space or use the concessions.  

You can use your permit anywhere in New Zealand but the concessions may vary depending on where you are.

If your permit is a long-term one, you need to remember to renew it every 5 years.
Back to top

Can I use my permit overseas?

If you already have a Mobility Parking Permit issued to you in New Zealand, you may be able to use it overseas as well. However the rules for the use of the permits and what concessions you might get will vary depending on which country, state, province or city you will be visiting.

You can contact CCS Disability Action for advice on whether you can use your New Zealand permit.

More information about this is on the Mobility Parking website.

Back to top

I'm disabled and was parked in a disabled space with my Mobility Parking Permit displayed, but still got a ticket. What should I do?

If you clearly displayed your valid Mobility Parking Permit and you were not in breach of the conditions of your permit (e.g. you did not stay in the car the whole time) you can dispute the infringement with the authority which issued you the infringement.

If your permit was displayed clearly at the time, it’s a good idea to take a photo (one which includes a date/time stamp). Write them a letter or send an email to the address on your infringement notice well before the due date of your infringement, stating why you should not have to pay the infringement. Include your photo as evidence.

You will find more information on how to dispute an infringement on our Fines page.

Back to top

If I drive my disabled relative around a lot, can I get a Mobility Parking Permit for my car even though I’m not disabled myself?

The Mobility Parking Permit is issued to an individual, not a vehicle.

If your relative hasn’t already got one, encourage them to apply for a Mobility Parking Permit and carry it on them when you are driving them around. You will be able to use the disabled parking spaces (for example) when you are driving them around, as long as their permit is displayed clearly on the windscreen or dashboard.

Back to top

How should I report someone for parking in a mobility parking space when they don't have a permit?

If you see a car parked in a mobility parking space and it isn't displaying a current Mobility Parking Permit, note the car licence number. If the vehicle is parked in a private car park (for example a supermarket car park), you can give this information to the owner. If the parking space is on the road or in a council car park, you can report it to your local authority.

If you think someone is misusing a Mobility Parking Permit (e.g. if a car parked in a mobility parking space is displaying a Mobility Parking Permit, but the only occupant appears to have no mobility issues), note the permit number. Report it to CCS Disability Action who will contact the permit holder.