Adoption and Fostering

What do I need to do if I want to adopt a child
What’s involved in fostering a child?

and more...

Care of children disputes - first steps to resolution

We can’t agree who our kids should live with. Where do we start?
Can I get free legal advice to help me with our dispute over the care of the children?
What happens in the Parenting Through Separation programme and do we have to do it?

and more... 

Care of children disputes - mediation

What is Family Dispute Resolution and when is it necessary?
What will happen if one of us is willing to go to mediation through FDR but the other isn't interested?
How do I find an FDR mediator?

and more...

Care of children disputes - going to court

When is it necessary to go to court to over the care of our children?
What happens once we get to court?
Can I get help with filing my court application? 

and more...

Care and protection of children and young people

What is the Ministry for Vulnerable Children, Oranga Tamariki?
When might Oranga Tamariki get involved in my family?
What will Oranga Tamariki do if someone tells them that a child is not being properly looked after? 
and more...


What are the responsibilities of a guardian?
How do I make my new partner a guardian of my child?

and more...


How old does my child have to be before I can leave him alone at home?
How do I discipline my child without resorting to smacking?

and more...

Parenting after separation

What does the term "day-to-day care" mean and how is it arranged?
What happens if we can't agree on our child's day-to-day care?

and more...


What is paternity?
What can I do if my child's father refuses to have his name on the birth certificate?
What is a paternity order?

and more...

Registration of birth

How long can I wait after having a child, before I have to register the birth?
My brother wants to name his child a name I think is really foolish. Isn't there a law that prevents people from giving their children silly names?
Can I give my child their father’s surname even if he refuses to acknowledge the child?

and more...

Your rights when you are in care

What are my rights as a child or young person in care?
Who can I talk to if I have questions or concerns about my care?
How do I report abuse or neglect by an Oranga Tamariki-appointed caregiver?


  • Search the CAB Community Directory.
  • Call CAB: 0800 367 222.
  • Free help for Migrants
  • Become a CAB volunteer
  • /sites/internet/Style%20Library/CAB/images/promoTiles/promo_chat.jpg