Are you eligible for financial assistance? 

If you’re struggling financially, it can be hard to know whether you are eligible for Government assistance.

It is worth finding out as you may be able to get some help even if you are working.

The Ministry of Social Development has a new online tool that makes it easy to get an idea of what you might be able to get. It includes Work and Income benefits, grants and subsidies; Inland Revenue tax credits; emergency housing, social (public) housing, and more.

All you have to do is answer some questions about your personal circumstances – you don’t give your name and your answers are not recorded so it is completely confidential. Once you have answered the questions you will get information about what you might be able to get and how to apply for it.

The application process can vary depending on what kind of assistance you want to apply for, and whether you are already a Work and Income client, but generally you can do it:

  • online – by completing an online form on MyMSD (you need to register if you don’t already have a MyMSD login); or
  • by calling Work and Income on 0800 559 009 (or 0800 552 002 if you are aged 65 years or more) if you can’t use MyMSD. You may have to make an appointment to speak to a case manager in person.

Your local Citizens Advice Bureau can help you to use MyMSD if you aren’t confident with it. We can also help you to: 

  • understand what your responsibilities would be as someone receiving a Work and Income benefit, 
  • apply for a benefit, and 
  • navigate the review process, if you disagree with a Work and Income decision about your application.

Our service is free, confidential and independent of any government agency.