Pasifika health support service provider Vaka Tautua has joined the Community Finance Initiative.
The Community Finance Initiative is a joint initiative of Good Shepherd NZ and the Bank of New Zealand, with support from the Ministry of Social Development. It provides low- or no-interest loans to eligible people on low incomes, to help them improve their lives.
There are two types of Community Finance loans:
A NILS or StepUP loan can be used to pay for things like:
- second-hand car
- car repairs
- new household appliances
- medical expenses
- course costs and fees
To be eligible for a NILS loan, you need to:
- have the ability to repay a loan
- have a Community Services Card or be eligible for one
- have lived at your current address continuously for at least the last three months.
To apply for a loan or make an enquiry, contact one of the participating community lenders:
- Salvation Army (in Whangarei, Waitakere, Mt Wellington, Maukau, Pukekohe, Hamilton, Tauranga, Napier, Palmerston North, Porirua, Wellington and Invercargill)
- Vaka Tautua (in Manukau, Henderson and Porirua).
- Aviva (in Canterbury)
Or find out more online at The NILS website or the StepUP website.
The community lender will be help you to collect the necessary documents, complete the application and ensure you can afford to repay the loan.