Using the search is easy: just type whatever you are looking for in the search box, hit Enter
or click the Search
The search results include:
Searching for Service Providers and Information Only
- web pages: These are web pages which have information that we have created about key topics. Click on the title or the link to go the webpage.
- Organisations: These are results in bold blue font- they have information about organisations which are relevant to your search. Click on the link to get more information about the organisation.
- Information resources: These are results in black bold font. They contain links to leaflets, brochures or web pages. Clicking on the link will take you directly to that information.
If you want to only search for service providers and information resources simply tick the box which says ‘Search Services & Organisations Only’
Searching for services from a specific location
If you want to search for results from only a specific area of the country then you can change your search location. To do this:
- Click on the change box.
- Select the Island that covers the location you want to search on from the Island drop down menu
- If you want to narrow the search down further, make a selection from the Region drop down menu. Once you have chosen the location or locations you want then click anywhere in the location selector box to close the drop down menu.
- If you select more than one location then you cannot select anywhere lower in the search hierarchy.
- Click save
To return to the settings to all of New Zealand search area, click
If you’re having problems finding what you want you can try using some of these tips:
- Keep your search simple:
- Describe what you need with as few terms as possible:
- Choose descriptive words: Use specific words to describe exactly what you're looking for. More general words give a larger number of results.
You can use the following search terms to help you find what you need:
AND: This searches for entries which must contain both search terms e.g. Kindergarten and Childcare.
OR: This searches for entries which can contain either search terms e.g. Kindergarten or Childcare.
Not or -: This searches for entries that contain one word but not if another word is in the entry e.g. craft -quilting would search for craft entires, but not ones which referred to quilting.
Exact Phrase: If you want to search for an exact phrase simply place it in quotes e.g. ‘wheelchair access’
*: Putting the wildcard (*) at the end of the word will search for all the words starting with the words before the asterisk.
Clicking on the Advanced Search will provide you with some extra search filters. You can search just for particular types of documents e.g. word documents, PDFs, web pages, by selecting the type you want.
You can search for just particular kinds of information:
Services & Organisations only: Will only find Organisations and Information Resources, e.g. leaflets and brochures.
- Topic & Legal information only: Will only find web page information about the key topics.
- About CAB only: Will only find information about the CAB e.g. how to get involved.
- Search for particular topics: To search only on certain topics of information select the topic from the drop down menu.