Using the search is easy: just type whatever you are looking for in the search box, hit Enter
or click the Search
The search results include three types of information:
Searching Community Directory information only
- Community Directory Information: These are results about relevant services and organisations in the community. Clicking on the name of the organisation will open more detail about it.
- CAB Information: These are web pages which have information that we have created about key topics. Click on the title or the link to go the webpage.
- Resources: These are resources from other organisations which are relevant to your search. They contain links to leaflets, brochures or web pages. Clicking on the link will take you directly to that information.
If you want to only search for Community Directory information simply tick the box which says ‘Search Services & Organisations Only’.
Searching for services from a specific location
The easiest way to do this is simply type in the area you want in your search terms, e.g. “tai chi dunedin”.
If this doesn’t get you the results you need you can limit the search to only a particular part of the country by following these instructions:
- Click on the change box .
- From the Island drop down menu, select the Island that covers the location you want to search on (i.e. North Island, South Island or Chatham Islands)
- If you want to narrow the search down further, select one or more regions from the Region drop down menu (e.g. Auckland).
- After you have selected a region, you can narrow your search further by selecting one or more District/City.
- Once you have chosen the location or locations you want then click anywhere in the location selector box to close the drop down menu.
- Click Save Location
NB: If you select more than one region then you cannot select a district or city.
To return to the settings to all of New Zealand search area, click the reset button .
If you’re having problems finding what you want you can try using some of these tips:
- Keep your search simple:
- Describe what you need with as few terms as possible:
- Choose descriptive words: Use specific words to describe exactly what you're looking for. More general words give a larger number of results.
You can also use the following search terms to help you find what you need:
AND: This searches for entries which must contain both search terms e.g. “kindergarten and childcare”.
OR: This searches for entries which can contain either search terms e.g. kindergarten or childcare.
Not or - (minus sign): This specifically excludes from your search results, those entries containing the word that follows ‘not” or “-“. e.g. “craft –quilting” would search for entries which contain the word “craft”, but which don’t contain the word “quilting”.
Exact Phrase: If you want to search for an exact phrase simply place it in quotes e.g. "‘wheelchair access’"
* (asterisk): Putting the wildcard symbol (*) at the end of the word will search for all the words starting with the words before the asterisk.
Clicking on the Advanced Search option will provide you with some extra search filters. You can search for just particular kinds of information:
- Services & Organisations only: Will only find organisations and services from our community directory.
- Topic & Legal information only: Will only find CAB information about the key topics.
- About CAB only: Will only find information about the CAB e.g. how to get involved.